by Jenell McMillon
Oh, you’re from Jersey?
This is the normal conversation (and shade) that occurs when a South Jersey resident tells someone from Central or North Jersey where they live. If you are from South Jersey, you're used to heading to Philly/NY for things to do. It be like that! However, I'm going to shine some light on the top spots in our little corner of the state.
Here are a few favorites that you will want to check out next time you decide to make it down the turnpike:
1. Instead of paying $5 to go over Betsey, Ben Franklin or Tacony bridge, we have Gaetano’s. Home of the best cheesesteaks and chicken cheesesteaks in South Jersey, don’t forget the fries. There are a few Gaetano’s but we only refer to the one on JFK Way in Willingboro/Twin Hills.
2. South Jersey is known for pubs with great specials:
- 45th Street Pub on 130 in Edgewater and Pennsauken: happy hour drinks and food specials every day!
- PJ Whelihan’s in Maple Shade and Cherry Hill: ½ off wings on Tuesdays.
- 6 Street Lounge in Camden: 50 cent shrimp all day on Wednesdays and $5 fish sandwiches on Thursdays.
- Victor’s Pub in Camden: you will never go wrong with their wings and crab dip.
3. If we talk about Camden, we have to mention Corrine’s. The best soul food spot in South Jersey hands down.
4. For all the sushi lovers, Tokyo Bleu on 130 in Cinnaminson is your place. Looks a bit sketchy on the outside but the inside will provide you with a perfect ambiance while you slightly turn up with your own bottles, yes BYOB!
5. Amy’s Diner in Burlington and Cherry Hill: You can get bacon/sausage (yes, they have turkey) with home fries and an omelet for under $12! Their breakfast menu is life and all for a reasonable price
South Jersey has a lot of gems, so make your way down the Parkway and explore something new!